Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!



Well, until I decided to actually write and put in words my thoughts on Father's Day, I had not realized how incredibly fortunate I have been. I know a lot of people do think they have the best Dad in the whole world, I'm one of them. There's many reasons why so many of us believe this, mine is really simple, love.
My Dad, is truly one of the most fascinating people I have ever met, and this is not just because he's my Dad, and you'll see why. He was born in the 40's, just one of 2 children, they lived in a very rural area in Puerto Rico. It seemed he had it laid all his life laid out to what he wanted it to be, he married to his childhood sweetheart and he was serving in the Army until something very unexpected happened, his wife sadly and suddenly passed away from a very rare and undetected disease. This was just one of a series of events that taught him to live life at it's fullest, and this is exactly what he did, aside from the Army, he also worked in a bank, ran the first movie theater in our town, worked in cruises, moved to a tour guide in the Caribbean Islands, started working in hotels, and this is where he met my Mom, fell in love, married, had us kids and took us all along for the ride. One thing that has always impressed me about my Dad, is really the amount of dreams he has reached, he has done more than what a normal person, in one lifetime can accomplish, really!
We grew up moving almost every year from country to country, in hotels all over the place, the Hotel was our home, the staff was our family. {We have "cousins" all over the world}. We grew up very differently from most people, and from most our "blood" family, we didn't get to share much with our real cousins, aunts and uncles. But somehow, he made it all work, I think this is the reason why we are so tight as a family now.
My Dad has taught me many, many things, of course, but if I could narrow, I will always cherish and hope I can teach my own kids is, life is truly amazing if you let it be, you should always follow your dreams, even if your dreams take you thousands of miles away from your comfort zone, keep an open mind and an open heart to things that may come your way, and always remember, we are all loaned on this world, at any moment, you or your loved ones might not be here anymore, so we should never put yourself in the position of regret.
On this day, I say"I love you, Daddy" a little sweeter than ever, I think about him {wishing I could be closer to go to that BBQ he's probably preparing in his new Gazebo}, think about my Paul, who's a little bit like him {they share the same birthday, how about that? Happy Father's Day, honey}.
And Lastly, I'd like to send a huge hug to my dear friend Therese, who lost her father recently, I'm thinking of you and your family, I know your Dad is in your heart every day and especially today.
Lots of love to all and have a wonderful, loving Father's Day. Thanks for reading! xoxo Eloisa

2 comments:

Farmhousefive Art 4 Kids said...

Oh my gosh .. thank you, Eloisa, for thinking of me! I was enjoying reading your thoughts and memories of your dad and getting to know more about your childhood and then I came to your sweet mention of my dad.... thank you for thinking of "us." I hope you and Paul and the kids had a wonderful day! xoxoxo Therese

klawellin said...

Cute Stuff!!! I just became an affiliate...would love to have you follow as well!

Thanks!
Kimberly