Saturday, April 28, 2012

Playing with Bubbles

When we moved to Crystal River last year, Claire wanted her room decorated in a certain famous kitten .... she got it. I am not going to say that I did not fight it all the way, with my history making beautiful boutique rooms for customers, and all the gorgeous one of a kind decor out there .... she wanted basic, kitten stuff, down to the bedding {ok, so I did enjoy buying SOME of it, and I also made her some paintings, so, it was not ALL lost}.
Now that we have lived in the water for one year, and we swim s often, and well, basically our lives revolve around the boat and the water, she has realized that, perhaps the famous kitten was not as "area appropriate" as mermaids. So, this is how all this got started.
"Mommy, I want to re-do my room in Mermaids", I say "cool, let's do it ... in the summer!" {Natalie has a whole new idea for her room too, but when we get to that bridge, we will cross it so stay tuned}. We are still on the "planning stage", you know, browsing the internet, looking at ideas, making a list of what she likes. Of course, she requests I make her a Mermaids fabric, no problem! Let's do it! Completed with wall decals and all.
Luckily, and coincidentally, Spoonflower teamed up with Robert Kaufman and hosted a contest {called Fabric8} where the theme was pen and watercolor, modern type of stuff. I think to myself, these mermaids would look great in watercolor. So, I took a "go" at it, and almost one month later, I finally had the "Playing with Bubbles" fabrics lined up for the contest.

 
This is just a preliminary collection, I am sure I will make changes as the project moves along, bedding, accessories etc, I will play with it more! Spoonflower is undergoing some changes in their color-charts, so I am waiting for that change to take effect so I can proof and make available the rest of the prints. They will hopefully be available mid May, I will keep you posted! As for the contest, they will decide on 100 participants {from over 700 who entered} on that round, from there, if my Mermaids get in, it will be my responsibility to get votes for my fabric, there will be a second round from 100 contestants, they will then go to 8, and then to 1. First place meaning that the fabric will be available through RK Fabrics vs Spoonflower. Exciting! I will share the 100 contestants as they are selected so you can cast your vote on May 3rd!
Anyway, as I usually try to offer a tutorial when I am introducing a new fabric {does not always pan out that way, but I try!}, Claire and I made up a bag, that took us 30 minutes to make! So, behold the 30 minute bag:
I am offering, for a limited time {not sure how long, perhaps a couple of weeks?} the pattern free! Download it by liking my facebook page here.
If you have any problems downloading the pattern, please email me, I will gladly send you the PDF File :) 


No comments: